The Ol Pejeta Conservancy's Community Development Programme, in conjunction with the Kenya Ministry of Education and other partners, contributes to the education of our surrounding communities.
One of Ol Pejeta’s partners, Project Kenya Sister Schools (PKSS) is a North American charitable organization that has been working with the Conservancy since 2005 to support education projects in Laikipia. This partnership has raised over Kshs 26,500,000 (USD $320,000) for the community surrounding Ol Pejeta since it started and has seen 22 schools in Laikipia benefit from new classrooms, bursaries, school uniforms, libraries, water tanks, biogas stations and even dairy cows.
In conjunction with the local government and donors, Ol Pejeta provides bursaries in order to allow underprivileged students to complete their education. In Laikipia, many talented students are often excluded from secondary school because they are unable to pay the required school-fees. Ol Pejeta started a Bursary Fund which has benefitted over 700 students to date.
Project Kenya Sister Schools (PKSS), provides approximately 50 full bursaries to students in schools surrounding the conservancy each year. Within the next five years, and with the help of willing donors, we aim to provide support to 100 children per year or more if possible! We welcome donations to support our Bursary Fund. Ol Pejeta is ready to assist those willing to sponsor students to pay for their education. We will help to identify those most in need of assistance, transparently administer the disbursement of funds and provide regular progress reports.
Please contact email@example.com for more information.
IMPROVEMENT OF EDUCATION FACILITIES
The Ol Pejeta Conservancy, through contributions from PKSS and other generous donors, has provided crucial support and help to improve the learning environment in the following schools:
- Sweetwaters Secondary School: partly contributed in the construction of an administration block; purchased a fuel-efficient stove for cooking school meals; provided dairy cows and a biogas station; built and furnished science laboratory; supplied computers; provided textbooks; bought and set up water tanks; set up a green house
- Tigithi Secondary School: refurbishment of five (5) classrooms; donated computers; provided textbooks; set up an internet mast
- St. Augustine Secondary School: supply of computers; provided textbooks; set up a greenhouse; supply of library shelving
- Endana Secondary School: construction of six (6) classrooms and four (4) toilets; fencing of the school; purchase of desks and textbooks; water tanks for roof catchment; provided dairy cows and biogas station; partly contributed in the construction of a Laboratory
- Loise Nanyuki Girls Secondary School: construction of classrooms; school roofing; purchase of laboratory equipments; library shelves and textbooks; supply of computers; provided dairy cows and biogas station; water Tank for roof catchment; purchased a fuel-efficient stove for cooking school meals
- Uaso Nyiro Primary School: four (4) classrooms are complete thanks to generous donations from Laurent Hopman, Project Kenya Sister Schools and '07 Cricket in the Wild teams; toilet block; desks; uniform for pupils. More funding is needed to facilitate the completion of the project – more classrooms, a library, an administration block and playground.
- Irura Primary School: construction of a classroom; desks; library shelves
- Sweetwaters Primary School: water tank for roof catchment; construction of a classroom; desks
- Laikipia Airbase Secondary School: water tank for roof catchment
- Mirera Primary School: water tank for roof catchment
- Matanya Primary School: refurbishment of one (1) classroom; library shelves and textbooks; library tables and forms
- Weruini Primary School: water tank for roof catchment
- Endana Primary School: textbooks
- Wathituga Primary School: water tank for roof catchment
- Tharua Primary School: refurbishment of two (2) classrooms
- Inoro Secondary School: water tank for roof catchment
- Mwituria Secondary School: refurbishment of one (1) classroom; water tank for roof catchment
- Thome Boys Secondary School: provided dairy cows and a biogas station; water tank for roof catchment
- Malek Girls Secondary School: water tank for roof catchment